Human Settlements official KILLED in KZN

A human settlements official was killed in Ntuzuma, KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) on Thursday, 4 August.

Staff want their safety guaranteed

Officials in the province are reportedly discussing withdrawing staff involved in the rollout and construction of temporary residential units – until they have their safety guaranteed.

ECR News reports that Baloyi stated workers on site have faced abuse and harassment at the hands of those allegedly demanding tenders.

Cele was killed on his way to flood victims

Police revealed that 57-year-old Mfanufikile Cele was in his vehicle when he was shot and killed on Mdubu Road. According to Mbulelo Baloyi from the Department, Cele was making his way to flood victims to provide feedback.

“Cele was responsible for provisional security to the contractors that are currently busy temporarily residential units for the victims of floods who are currently displaced and staying in most of the community halls. 

“He was doing to KwaMashu to ensure that the victims of floods are updated with respect to when are they going to be relocated to their temporary residential units,”

said Baloyi.

DA describes living conditions of KZN flood victims as ‘inhumane’

In other news, it was previously reported that the Democratic Alliance (DA) in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) says it will be approaching the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) regarding the living conditions of KZN flood victims.

The DA described the living conditions in community halls housing the flood victims as ‘inhumane’. The party visited nine community halls in eThekwini and shared images of the way in which flood victims are living.

The party noted a media briefing in April held by Premier Sihle Zikalala where a promise to build over 4 000  Temporary Residential Units (TRUs) was made. The TRUs were supposed to be up and running in the week of the announcement in Ugu, Ilembe and eThekwini. Read the full story here.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.