Uncategorized

Four in court for Joslin Smith disappearance

Watch LIVE as the four Jacquen Rowhan Appollis, Steveno Dumaizio van Rhyn, Racquel Chantel Smith (Kelly), and Phumza Sigaqa, are expected back in the Vredenburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday in connection with the disappearance of Joslin Smith (6).

WATCH LIVE: FOUR IN COURT FOR JOSLIN SMITH’S DISAPPEARANCE

All four face charges of trafficking persons for exploitation and kidnapping.

Joslin, from Diazville in Saldanha Bay, went missing on 19 February 2024 while in the care of her mother’s boyfriend.

WATCH THE COURT APPEARANCE LIVE:

All four suspects remained in police custody until the bail information hearing.

HERE IS EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT THE CASE SO FAR: 

Here are the latest developments in the search:

  • Patriotic Alliance leader Gayton Mckenzie said the reward has been increased to R500 000 after people reported sightings of Joslin in Mosselbay.
  • Kelly Smith, her boyfriend, Jacquine [Boeta] Appolis, Steveno van Rhyn and Phumza Sigaqo are charged with human trafficking and kidnapping.
  • Bloodied clothing was found and has been sent for forensic testing.
  • Despite extensive daily searches, there’s still no sign of the missing little girl. 
  • The City of Cape Town dispatched policing resources today. This includes investigators, K9 unit search dogs, Marine Unit members and watercraft, and experienced search and rescue volunteers. Drones will support these teams’ search efforts.
  • The Western Cape’s social development department in Saldanha Bay has intervened to keep Joslin’s siblings safe. 
  • Police spokesperson Malcolm Pojie said the search for the six-year-old Joslin had been scaled down as no trace could be found despite all avenues and resources being exhausted.
  • Earlier this week the reward of R20 000 was increased to R250 000. It is now R500 000. This is offered for any information aiding the police in locating Joslin.
  • Joslin’s mother, Kelly, was asked about allegations of drug abuse inside the family home. Kelly admitted that she and her boyfriend smoked tik, but said she had been “clean for a week since the disappearance of Joslin”.

Meanwhile, a petition to deny bail for four people has gained momentum.

The petition, a Change.org petition, was started by June Major five days ago.

“We demand that bail be denied to the four suspects currently held in custody related to Joslin’s case. This should extend to any other individuals who may be implicated as investigations proceed. We insist on thoroughness; no stone must be left unturned until Joslin is found,”

the petition said.

THE PETITION IS TO DEMAND THAT BAIL BE DENIED

It furthermore said the denial of bail would send a strong message that ‘such atrocities will not be tolerated within our society.’

At the time of publishing, the petition has gathered about 20 215 signatures.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *