Uncategorized

MK Party calls for calm affirms Zuma’s leadership

Sihle Ngubane, the secretary-general of the MK Party, has urged party members to stay calm, assuring them that Jacob Zuma remains in leadership despite the Constitutional Court’s decision to disqualify him from running for parliament.

MK Party members and supporters

On Monday, the nation’s highest court determined that Zuma was ineligible to serve as a member of or run for election to the National Assembly until five years had passed.

This decision was based on Zuma’s prior conviction and sentencing to a term exceeding 12 months imprisonment for an offence.

“Section 47(l)(e) simply says ‘convicted of an offence and sentenced to more than 12 months’ imprisonment without the option of a fine’. Mr Zuma was ‘convicted’ in that this court ‘found’ him ‘guilty’… of the crime of contempt of court,” stated the justices of the Constitutional Court.

Addressing the media outside the court, Ngubane expressed the party’s disappointment with the ruling but urged supporters to remain calm, emphasising that Zuma’s leadership remained unchanged.

“Jacob Zuma will give us a directive of what is next going forward, but we are still comfortable that he is still the leader of the party and will take the decision and give us as the executive what is the next step and direction going forward.

“We haven’t planned anything, Jacob Zuma – as the leader of the party – will give us direction about his party and what to do. He still leads this party; he will lead this party going forward.

“He will give us direction from here on. He is still in charge and he will tell us what to do. Zuma is still in control of this party.”

According to the Sowetan LIve, on Monday, the nation’s highest court determined that Zuma was ineligible to serve as a member of or run for election to the National Assembly until five years had passed. 

This decision was based on Zuma’s prior conviction and sentencing to a term exceeding 12 months imprisonment for an offence.

“As the leader, we are just waiting for him to tell us what the next step is. We will be fine with everything that he says must happen,” he said.  

Reason for Jabulani Khumalo’s absence from MK Party’s manifesto rally

Jabulani Khumalo, the founder of the uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) party, has clarified his non-attendance at his party’s manifesto rally over the weekend amidst continuing rumours of his “purge” from the party.

Over the weekend, many supporters from the MK party gathered at Orlando Stadium in Soweto to listen to their party president, Jacob Zuma, outline their plans should they win power. 

The party is gearing up to participate in next week’s upcoming national and provincial elections.

Khumalo’s absence at the MK party rally was conspicuous, especially since the party had previously stated that he and others had been expelled for allegedly trying to undermine the party’s stability. 

However, Khumalo clarified in an interview with 702 on Monday that he was absent because he was engaged in a ritual back home in Nkandla, KwaZulu-Natal.

“When the organisation was putting together the dates for the rally it clashed with what I was doing.

“In our culture once you have cooked your umqombothi and everything you can’t leave home. I was at home.

“I would be there if the date did not clash, but the dates clashed”.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *